New this year, the Aging Action Initiative, Marin Commission on Aging, and Marin Community Foundation have teamed up to present information about how homeowners can earn extra income by converting part of their home into a Junior Accessory Dwelling Unit, or "JADU" (pronounced JAY-Doo).
What Is a JADU?
A JADU is a small apartment created out of existing unused rooms in a home. A JADU can be rented out to provide additional income for the homeowner or a place to live for a family member or caregiver.
The State of California has streamlined requirements for converting a bedroom into a legal rental unit. Simply by adding a side entrance and kitchenette, homeowners can turn extra space into monthly income. JADUs are becoming popular because they bypass complicated and expensive requirements and permitting that ordinarily accompany a new dwelling unit. For instance, JADUs do not require extra parking spaces, utility hookup fees, or separate water and sewer connections.
Uses for a JADU?
- Rent out the unit to a student or other community member
- House a family member or friend
- Provide living space for a caregiver
- Downsize into the JADU and rent out your main house
Visit Our Booth
Experts will be available to tell you everything you need to know about adding a JADU to your home! Attendees will be able to:
- Learn how to earn extra income by creating a JADU
- Meet with local planners like Lilypad Homes, architects, and builders about how to convert your extra room into a JADU
- Hear from the County tax assessor’s office how to minimize property tax increases with a JADU home improvement
- Learn about a program to screen renters and write rental contracts
We look forward to seeing you at the JADU Expo, Booths 107, 108, and 109!